Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Time to work

The past week in Japanese class has started to seem more difficult. I think that is due in large part to the fact that I haven't been studying as much!! Sometimes I feel so bored just sitting and saying things to myself while the computer bleeps out generic statements (I also hate that you have to open a new tab every time you listen to a new question). Eventually I will have to find someone in class who I can sit and practice with because it would make learning so much more fun. I mean...think about it! We could tell each other what time it is every minute, introduce ourselves as if we had never met over and over, and even pretend like we are at a shopping mall instead of sitting in a corner of the library while our levels of vitamin D drop to an all-time low! Yay!

Anyways, besides my poor study habits from last week I have really enjoyed class. It is pretty neat to think about how much we have learned in three weeks. I mean, we can read hiragana! After katakana I will be able to write letters to my grandma (even though I will not be able to share how intellectually well-rounded Columbia is making me with my child-like vocabulary). I have also realized that everyone in our class really struck gold having the sensei we do. She is always up-beat, reassuring, and keeps the energy level up in class even though I think everyone has begun questioning why they signed up for a 9am language course. If we are lucky she will be teaching Japanese 2 because I would love to remain with her.

Hopefully everyone has been having as much fun as I have. Even though there has been a lot thrown at us in the past few weeks, I couldn't be happier learning my native language at Columbia with all the great students in our class. Their ability to learn a completely foreign language honestly inspires me to work harder (which I WILL be doing this week). Good luck with your studies everyone!

6 comments:

  1. I love our class too! Matsui-sensei always makes us laugh and she is always so happy. It's really a great start to each day.

    We should make a class study session! We could set an hour where we all just sit together and try our best to speak in Japanese and rehearse what we've been learning in class. Also, you should definitely go to the next Japanese Chat Club. I went to it last week and the native speakers were extremely helpful. It was a really fun way to practice what we've been learning in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Matsui sensei too! A friend of mine recommended her session, though it's a bit early in the morning but I never regretted it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...And, we could listen to Bump of Chicken during any future study sessions (my friend who recommended them to me has a massive collection of their songs)! It would be totally inspirational :)

    Perhaps we can have a Japanese TV-watching night as well! (I am pretty sure I'd have some other friends from outside of class who'd want to join too, haha.) TV/movies are a really interesting cultural window into a place, in addition to being an excuse for some fun language practice.

    Also, I find the speaking practice more entertaining if I use funny voices. Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about a lot being thrown at you for class. ギャラガーです。ノートルダムだいがくの 「University of Notre Dame」 よんえんせいです。 Here at ND we've got quite a bit of classwork (it feels like more since I'm taking 20 credit hours this semester). That aside, I couldn't agree more that learning Japanese has been a lot of fun, and is definitely worth it!

    By the way, if you want something fun to do while you're trying to study, try typing a chunk of text in Japanese and using Google Translate on it. It can give some hilarious results sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. はじめまして、サガルディアですどうぞよろしく。ぼくは ノトルダムだいがくのがくせんです。The bond between a Teacher and her Student is a special thing. Keep it alive! As for practice, remember that tutors are also a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize that there would be an oral part of the exam. Let's talk soon about making the study group.

    I did the exchange program in high school during the summer, but I hope I can go again for maybe a semester or a full year.

    ReplyDelete