Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Nani?

Hello everyone!

Learning how to speak Japanese for the past two weeks has been an immensely rewarding experience. I have chosen this particular language in large part because of my grandma. She is 89 years old! Although she is still doing well I know that she will not be around forever and, consequently, I feel as though I would be doing both of us a great disservice if I never made the effort to really know who she is before she passes away. To accomplish this, I must learn to speak Japanese. Hopefully, someday in the near future, I will eventually be able to speak to my grandma without saying "nani??" quite so often.

The most difficult part of class for me so far has been attempting to smoothly read lines of Hiragana characters. Identifying individual characters is not so bad but, after attempting to peer-edit my classmates introductions, I realized that rows of them look like hieroglyphics! After fumbling through this first reading (or attempted reading) of blog entries I know that I will have to study for a long time this weekend. No Sapporo and football for me!

-Nakasan

6 comments:

  1. "I realized rows of them look like Hieroglyphics!"

    〜あ、そですね。And かたかな looks kinda like ancient cuneiform, right?

    がんばってくづさい!I am sure your grandmother will appreciate the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can speak to your grandma soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful that you want to learn Japanese for your grandma. My grandma recently passed away and although I did have a good relationship with her, it was pretty shallow since we lived so far apart and my Japanese can only sustain pretty superficial conversations. When my immediate family goes to Japan it's always really nice to have time with the rest of my family though. I want to speak Japanese really well so I can have a deeper relationship with my cousin in the future!

    And yeah, my papers are marked up a lot by Matsui Sensei too! Hahaha probably because my writing looks like a kindergartener's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha so funny - they really do look like hieroglyphics. But when we start learning kanjii, what would they look like? I wish you the best of luck learning Japanese so you can connect with your origins and your grandmother. Yes the beginning of studying Japanese is difficult but we are all in this together - every morning! Have a good weekend!
    - Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really funny and super sweet. Your grandmother is going to be so happy。 がんばってください!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... your reason for learning Japanese is so noble... it makes "lolz I wanna watch anime better" sound so self-centered. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete