Monday, November 21, 2011

Katakana Literary Work

A Silent End
いぬシャベル
どこきましたか
しずかかな


I chose to write the word "shaberu" in katakana to emphasize the unusual nature of human-animal communication. Although the dog cannot really speak, I am asking the reader to think of the ways that we often empathize with a childhood pet that is dying.

The Brevity of Life
あきのあめ
せかいがおもい
フルイし


In this haiku I was initially talking about the weather of a season signaling the passing of another year. The word "furui" is in katakana to show that although the passing of time does make you older in a literal sense, it does not have to be perceived as your spirit getting old too. Since katakana is often used by the younger generation of Japanese, I thought it could be used for this concept.

The Crux of Education
ダイガクや
せいかつのやま
なかわなに


The word "daigaku" is in katakana to show that attending a university is the popular choice after high school. Yet, many young students have no idea how this education will help them achieve their future goals. This use of katakana shows how an action can also be associated with a "cool" decision.

8 comments:

  1. nice haikus! i think i had an "aki no ame" in one of mine too;) I like that you put daigaku in katakana to be "cool." I think there is lots of truth in that haiku.. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting poems! My favorite one is "The Crux of Education." I never really thought of how going to college could be considered "the cool" thing to do. I myself am here not knowing exactly what I want to do with my life! The use of katakana to emphasize "ダイガク" really drives the point home. The katakana uses in your other poems also do a good job of emphasizing the most important idea in your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really good! (Although the first one is sort of depressing, haha.)

    Conceptually, I think that the second one is my favorite, especially given your explanation of how you've used the word "ふるい". The third one also resonates with me (school as life's mountain? absolutely). Your title for this one is also really おもしるい :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a good job of mixing it up and using katakana words to have a different effect.
    I like the second one a lot I think it is the most interesting of the three.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! I like the way you used Katakana for emphasis.
    However, for me, the first and second Haiku are a little hard to understand what you really mean. So it would be great if you could also put the English translation besides the sentences.

    FYI, the topic marker -wa is written as 'は' not 'わ', so please change the last sentence from 'なかわなに' to 'なかはなに'.

    TA Miyamoto

    ReplyDelete
  6. i stand with my comments earlier but since we are to write at least one comment in japanese:

    "この はいく は とても おもしろい です! そして、ちょっと さみしいです。

    ReplyDelete
  7. なかさん、あなたのはいくわとてもいいです.
    I like your last poem in that you were very creative and used katakana to not only convey coolness in, say, products or brands, but also in decisions, like college. Very imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite, or perhaps the one that affected me most, was the first. かなしいです。I understand the feeling you describe, identifying with a dying childhood pet.

    ReplyDelete